Pumpkin Shepards Pie
Mashed Butternut Squash and YamTopping:
- 1 butternut squash, cut in half and seeded
- ½ Tbs olive oil
- ½ tsp salt, plus an extra pinch for the squash
- Pinch white pepper, plus an extra pinch for the squash
- ½ tsp chopped thyme, plus an extra pinch for the squash
- ½ tsp chiffonade fresh sage, plus an extra pinch for the squash
- 3 lbs gold potatoes, sliced into 1 inch thick pieces
- ¼ cup coconut cream
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
Meat filling ingredients:
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 cups small dice carrots
- 1 cup small dice celery
- 1 medium onion small dice
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped fine
- 1 lb ground organic beef (not lean)
- 1 lb ground organic turkey (not lean)
- ¾ tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 Tbs GF flour or arrow root for thickening
- 4 Tbs tomato past Bionaturae
- 1 Tbs apple cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 ½ cups chopped tomatoes or use Bionaturae chopped tomatoes in a can- my personal favorite
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock
Start by making the mashed butternut squash topping:
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Cover baking sheet with parchment or foil.
- Cut butternut squash in half, rub on olive oil, sprinkle with good salt, white pepper, dried thyme (crumble as you go), and sage. Rub mixture into the squash.
- Place the squash, cut sides down, onto baking sheet, roasting for 45 minutes, until soft and you can easily pierce with a fork. Set aside once done.
- Cut 4 yams or sweet potatoes in half- pierce with a fork, rub with butter, sprinkle with good salt.
- Place on baking sheet (covered with parchment or foil) cut side down, and roast until you can easily stab the potatoes with a fork- 20-25 minutes.
- Once squash and tubers are done- scoop flesh out of shell/skin into a mixing bowl to mash.
- You should have roughly 1.5 quarts of product to mash with ¼-1/2 cup whole coconut cream, 1 tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp onion powder, ½ tsp salt, wee pinch ground white pepper, and mash. Set aside. (whole fat diets- use cream cheese and whole cream with butter)
Shepherd’s pie meat filling:
- Put 2 tsp of olive oil in your medium-sized heavy bottom pot or dutch oven, medium-high flame- add carrots. Sauté carrots for 1 minute, adding diced onions, celery and garlic, mix and sauté for 1 minute (do not over cook– you want a nice texture, keeping veg aldente is lovely).
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the ground beef and turkey to the pot and mix breaking it up into smaller pieces. Top the meat with ¾ tsp pepper, 1 tsp of salt, and 1 tsp of dried thyme. Mix and cook until the meat is browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add 1 Tbs of flour or ½ tspn arrow root to meat and mix well.
- ADD ALL of the following ingredients together- 4 Tbs of tomato paste, 1 Tbs of apple cider vinegar, 1 tsp of onion powder, a pinch of salt and mix well. Add 1.5 cup of chopped tomatoes, to this, stirring to combine all ingredients (if you need to add a little of your chicken stock to this, you can. Then add this mixture to your meat, siring to incorporate.
- Then add 1.5 cups of chicken stock broth and simmer until the sauce reduces to a gravy, about 5-7 minutes.
- Pour the shepherd’s pie filling into a large pan, 9 in x 13 in. and top with mashed butternut squash topping, using a spatula to evenly spread it out.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.