Raw Tuscan Kale Salad
- 1/2 bunch Tuscan or Jacinta kale, 1/2 bunch of organic spinach
- 2 slices of ciabatta bread (or homemade hearty bread crumbs)
- 1 smashed garlic clove
1/4 Hawaiian Sea Salt (or cedar smoked salt is nice from Spice Merchants)
- 1 handful of (good quality) grated pecorino cheese- plus shavings for garnish
- 3-4 tablespoons of Temecula Olive Oil- Garlic OR Lemon infused
- 1 Meyer lemon juiced
- pinch of red pepper flakes & cracked pepper (toast in frying pan, stove top- low heat- for 1 minute)
Wash the kale really well! Trim the spine out, pat dry and slice into 1/2 ribbons. You’ll end up with about 2-3 cups of kale. Wash dry spinach- if really large leaves- fold and cut in half.
Place the kale/spinach in a large bowl to hold.
Cover ciabatta bread with a light coating of salted butter- then toast in the oven on 375 until golden brown on both sides and dry throughout. Cut into into small chunks, and pulse in a food processor until the mixture forms coarse crumbs.
Smash the garlic with the flat part of a large knife- add pinch of salt, 1/4 cup cheese, 3-4 tablespoons oil, lemon juice, pinch of pepper flakes, and black pepper and whisk in medium stainless steel bowl to combine.
Pour the dressing over the kale & spinach and toss- use your hands to mix it all in super well (you have to coat those thick kale leaves well)! Let the salad sit for a few minutes to absorb the dressing, then serve top with bread crumbs, additional cheese, and a drizzle more of oil & pinch of salt if needed.
Adapted from the Raw Tuscan Kale Salad with Chilies and Pecorino recipe in Melissa Clark’s In the Kitchen with A Good Appetite.
Prep time: 10 min Cook time: 5 min